Harry Potter, Adam, and the Speghetti Monster

Harry Potter, Adam, and the Speghetti Monster
"Sorry guys...you haven't seen a small metal ball with wings flapping around by chance, have you?""

Friday, November 4, 2011

Introduction

Hail all!

Welcome to the blog of the Great Lord Starflower Whiptail Lizard Black-finned...no, sorry. I can't do it. That's never really been my style, and to tell you the truth, it's not really in the spirit (or the "mindset" for the Atheists) of the blog. I'm not that kind of witch. Let me start over again.

Greetings and welcome to my blog. I'm going to be writing on spirituality, philosophy, religion and any other related matters as they come up. In order to explain why I felt the need to write the blog, and why you might be interested in reading it, I should probably start by introducing myself.

I'm AtheistWitch. I live in Europe, but I grew up in the middle of the United States. I was raised by Evangelical Christians who defined themselves as non-denominational. Realizing I was gay was just the major clincher in a series of circumstances that would lead to my progressively leaving the Christian faith over several years. At one point, I eventually gained the courage to call myself an atheist. As often happens when one assumes a new identity, I became increasingly enthusiastic and rather militant before settling on a softer, but defined approach. Last year, in rather whimsical circumstances, I decided to start researching Wicca and Paganism. I adored a lot of what I saw, and was alternately bewildered and incredulous towards other parts. I was also unwilling to give up my atheism, as I felt that it was a great step forward. So I set about to create my own path, only for me, which integrated the parts that I liked, was well-defined and yet necessarily fluid to be adaptable to the world.

That, in a nutshell, is how I came to define myself as a solitary, eclectic, atheist witch.

Which still may not answer the question of what the hell does that mean. But that's why you have to read the blog isn't it? I'm going to be explaining my practices, thoughts and beliefs, including everything from a healthy helping of silly, inane details to meaty, existential philosophies.

Before I start , I should say that this blog will not be a dogmatic pitch for some newfangled religion. I'm only going to talk about what works for me. But perhaps more important, however, than the what is the why (and concurrently, what I hope will be taken away from it).

I feel disenchanted at the dialogues of the deaf that frequently occur between atheists and believers. I feel compassion for people oppressed under the disproportionate influence of fundamentalist groups, organizations and bodies. I feel anger at the oppressors and annoyance at obnoxious types of all sides. I believe that you can practice spirituality in a safe, rational, scientific, moral way and notice a lack of public voices giving practical examples. I hope that my voice can help someone find a path that offers a net benefit for them and for society.

Oh, and did I mention that I love debating these subjects with others so that I can become a little bit wiser every now and then?

So I hope you enjoy. Hang on to your broomsticks, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

NEXT POST: Religion: They made it up, but that doesn't mean you have to stop practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment